"Ready all--Row!" from our Coxswain  

written by LuLu

September's Blog topic:

Now that our summer coxswains have left us to go back to school, we rowers are assigned to the coxswain's seat.

So what tips to you have from the coxswain's seat? Any pointers, advice, coxing information? What commands do you like to hear? What strategies should your coxswain provide?

What do the coxswains expect from the rowers? One Voice! Right? What else?

Post your comments below.

Thanks! Oh and "Way Enough!" Or is it "Weigh Enough?" (Ha ha ha :o) )

2 comments

  • Wendy  
    September 10, 2008 at 8:50 PM

    I used a framework of 3X 3...like a build 3. Adults remember things in groups of three...and I would offer an idea for 3 strokes as focus....pause...add the next...same...

    3 areas were: mental toughness/motivation calls; technique/stroke calls; sensory awareness calls.

    Examples:

    take 3 for quick hands away....add to it 3 for placing on recovery....add 3 for sit strong at the catch...

    3 run of the boat and gathering it up under you....3 for the sound of one catch....3 for big soft belly breathe on the recovery


    3 for each person in the boat....3 for staying stubborn...3 for gaining seats etc...etc...

    Someone asked me to share...This is best I recall. I try to integrate mindfulness & effort.

  • Jen B  
    September 13, 2008 at 2:24 PM

    I want to know that the cox wants to win just as badly as everyone else in the boat.

    I want the cox to be agressive & use an excited tone of voice - yell, scream, whatever - I don't care just as long as it motivates the boat to kick it up a notch.

    A few things I like to hear from a coxswain specifically during race pieces: How much time is left in the piece, where we are in relation to the other boats, and I want them to call or count the last 20 strokes of the race.

Post a Comment