Carrying Boats  

written by DAR

An excerpt from an email conversation I had with one of our rowers. I just want to establish how I'd like things to be done, so that we are all on the same page. The concern here was how the boat can become suddenly very heavy when it is being carried down to the dock, and a concern that height might be a large factor, and that one end may be burdened unduly.

I love these kind of efficiency arguments. I will try to be brief.

I agree that many programs do not carry their boats in the most efficient manner. They spread out opposite their riggers, and the boat pivots off the middle as it goes over humps, and crushes the tips when it passes over a dip. We can see this most clearly when bad high school crews carry bow coxed fours. No one goes to the coxswain's area, and half the boat remains unsupported, and teeters alarmingly as they stagger to the dock.

However, I would challenge your twin assertions that the bow is longer and heavier, and that crews cannot bunch at the bow. First, if we take "stern" as beginning at the back of stroke's rigger, then the difference is nil. Second, two seat often fails to go to the bow side of the bow rigger, needlessly removing themselves from the position in which they can do the most good. In this case, it is two seat's fault if bow seat is unduly burdened, not that of the stern four.

Regarding the "over heads, on the ramp," it is my experience that this is necessary if the stern of the boat comes perilously close to the roof of the bay on exit or entry. Such an event is a concern when dealing with a very steep ramp, or with rowers who are not truly bunched to the ends and a gentle ramp, causing the hull to pivot on those in the middle like a seesaw. Should either of these conditions be present, we will begin lifting over heads as we exit. Lastly, once everyone is on the same plane, differences in weight distribution should be a function of someone bailing out, rather than the physics of the matter.

I won't ask people to arrange by height in order to carry down, however. Bunching is adequate, and rational, while some arrangement that is drastically different from the boating order will only take extra time.

Any more concerns? I do actually think about this sort of thing; I could also get into the proper order of bolts to tighten on a rigger in order to cause a minimum of stress and maximize centering, or the proper tension of said bolts and/or loading straps.

Dan


I will try to continue posting on these sorts of issues as the water season approaches. I understand certain conventions may be different than those used previously; many times, this is a stylistic decision, and I would welcome the discussion. For example, I picked up the optimum strap rolling method while at Williams, so I am willing to listen. Next will likely be a discussion of strapping.

DAR

0 comments

Post a Comment